The Friends of the WNC Nature Center rely on people like you to volunteer and help make us the amazing organization that we are today. Thanks to people like volunteer extraordinaire David Lynch of Lynch Designs pictured here, we are expanding our outreach efforts for the Nature Center we all love. There are many ways to get involved, so sign up and join the team! As a volunteer, you not only provide critical capacity, but also get to have fun and enjoy some great perks.
These benefits include:
- Invitations to Friends and Nature Center special events & programs
- Preference to several programs such as the Friends' Wild Education series
- Opportunities to earn special perks and benefits
- Enjoying our fun (and sometimes quirky) work environment
- More opportunities to hang out with the WNC Nature Center animals!
There are many ways to volunteer with the Friends of the WNC Nature Center. Whether you are interested in a one-time event, regular volunteering or a long-term commitment, there is an opportunity for you! Current volunteer needs include:
• Event Promotions: A team of volunteers who support the Friends at Nature Center events and programs. Volunteers will set up tables to share information on the Friends' giving programs, coordinate fun activities for the kids and get the word out to visitors about other ways to get involved. Training will be provided.
• Office Assistants: The Friends are looking for volunteers who can come in regularly (every week or month) to help with filing, mailings and other office tasks.
• Database Assistants: With increased membership, we need regular volunteers to help us update and manage our database. Training will be provided.
• Articles and Other Writings: Do you write professionally or as a hobby? The Friends publish quarterly newsletters, monthly e-news and weekly blog posts. We are always looking for volunteers with new perspectives who can contribute to these publications. Whether it is an interview with staff or volunteers, visitor stories or an inside-look into one of the Nature Center animals, we are interested in hearing from you!
• Photo Donations: With over 30 years of history, the Friends are working to build a scrapbook documenting our organization and the WNC Nature Center. We always welcome donations of images of events, animals and people from the past to the present! All photographs will be credited appropriately.
• Hey Day: This annual Family Fall Festival is our biggest annual event, bring thousands of visitors the WNC Nature Center over the course of just one day! With so much going on, the Friends need dozens of volunteers to lead children's activities, silent auctions, manage admissions and many other areas to make Hey Day possible.
• Mountain Safari: This year the Friends of the WNC Nature Center are introducing a new evening fundraiser filled with entertainment, food, drink and adventure! Like Hey Day, the Friends need volunteers to help with a variety of tasks ranging from admissions, auctions, food service and bar tending.
• Joining a Committee or Task Force: If you want to get more involved, then consider applying to join a committee or task force. The committees meet on a regular basis and the task forces are set up by event and project. For example, we are seeking volunteers to join the Hey Day Task Force which will begin meeting in July to play the 36th Annual Hey Day Festival. Let us know if you want to learn more about this level of volunteering.
To apply as a volunteer please download & complete the Volunteer Application Form electronically then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to learn more about volunteering, contact us at email@example.com or (828) 259-8092.
If you can't access the Electronic Volunteer Application From, click here to download the Printed Volunteer Application Form and mail it to Friends of the WNC Nature Center, P.O. Box 19151 Asheville, NC 28815.